General Rental Terms
The following General Terms apply to the rental. Depending on the country where the rental takes place, these terms may be supplemented by certain rental terms specific to the country. It is strongly recommended that you carefully read all terms and conditions mentioned on the Booking, signed at the Enterprise Rent-A-Car rental station prior to check-out. The Terms and Conditions are also available in local languages German and French, as well as in English.
- Definitions and General Principles
- Rental Requirements
- The Vehicle: Condition, Usage, Breakdown Assistance, and Maintenance/Mechanical Problems
- The Rental period
- Terms of Payment
- Data Protection
Definitions and General Principles
“You” are the customer (main driver) who has signed the Booking and who is therefore entitled to drive the vehicle. “Enterprise Rent-A-Car” or “we” is/are the Enterprise subsidiary or franchisee named in the Booking. “Vehicle” is the car that Enterprise is renting to you for the agreed duration of the Booking and includes all parts and accessories fitted to it at the commencement of the rental. “Damage” is any damage to the vehicle (including glass, lights, and mirrors) and any damage occurring to third party property, where applicable.
The place of jurisdiction is Dietlikon, ZH, Switzerland
You must hold and produce a driving license in your legally given name(s). The driving license must be valid in the country where the rental takes place and must have been issued by a legally-sanctioned authority at least 12 months before the beginning of the rental. If the driving license is written in a language different to the one of the renting country and/or in characters that cannot be read in the renting country, or if the driving license is not otherwise valid in the European Union, an international driving license is also required. An international driving license is only valid if accompanied by the normal driving license. If the rental takes place outside of your country of residence, you must also present a valid identity card or a valid passport in your legally given name(s). These identification documents are generally not requested if you are a resident of the European Union and the rental takes place in another European Union country, except in some specific cases such as special or luxury vehicles.
In most countries, you must be between the ages of 21 and 80 to rent a car and have held a full driving license for at least one year. Age requirements may vary according to country and vehicle category. In some instances, a Young Driver Surcharge may be applicable to the rental cost. A driver qualified as a “young driver” will pay a specific charge (according to the Terms and Conditions of the country of rental) known as a “Young Driver Surcharge”. Terms and conditions of the Young Driver Surcharge may vary between specific countries. It is therefore strongly recommended that you consult the relevant terms and conditions when booking online, or via your local Enterprise Rent-A-Car Reservation Office, or at the time of rental. The above requirements are also applicable to all registered additional drivers.
You must produce a valid corporate or personal credit card in your legally given name(s) with an expiry date after the check-in date. In some countries, two credit cards (including at least one major credit card) are required for luxury and special models, and an authorization will be requested for each. Details are available at an Enterprise Rent-A-Car Reservation Service Center or on the Enterprise Rent-A-Car website. Enterprise Rent-A-Car accepts major credit cards (American Express, Mastercard, and Visa). As certain credit card companies may not be represented in all countries, it is advisable to verify the acceptance of a given card in a small or remote country in advance. Credit cards are accepted to the limits authorized by the credit card company. For rental reservations made in Europe only: Maestro (Bank debit card-PIN) is a possible accepted form of payment. Please refer to the section “Terms of Payment” for additional information.
The Vehicle: Condition, Usage, Breakdown Assistance, and Maintenance/Mechanical Problems
3.1 Condition of the Vehicle.
A description of the condition of the vehicle will be provided to you.
Before leaving the rental location, you are required to check the condition of the vehicle. Where an apparent defect is found which is not already listed in the document, you must immediately inform the Enterprise Rent-A-Car employee at the counter in order to proceed with dual examination of the vehicle. Once all apparent defects have been accounted for by both parties, amendments must be made to the document and duly countersigned. If the amended document is not countersigned by both parties, the condition of the vehicle will be deemed to match the description in the document given to you with the Booking, and will be considered to have been received by you in proper condition.
You will return the vehicle in the same condition as it was provided to you at the beginning of the rental. You are therefore responsible for any repair or refurbishment costs and these will be added to the cost of the rental.
3.2 Use of the Vehicle
The vehicle must not be driven by anyone other than you and only under the condition that your ability to drive is not in any way impaired by mental or physical incapacity or restricted by law. If you wish to take the vehicle outside of the country of rental, you must ensure that the Enterprise Rent-A-Car Terms & Conditions permit you to do so and, where necessary, obtain Enterprise Rent-A-Car’s prior written consent. Depending on the country of rental, some restrictions may apply with respect to: loading the vehicle on trains, boats, ferries, or similar means of transportation; taking the vehicle from the mainland on to an island; or taking certain types of vehicles across borders. You are advised to verify these restrictions at the time of reservation.
You must take care of the vehicle, keep it in good condition, take responsibility for any fines for which you may be liable, reimburse Enterprise Rent-A-Car for any damage to the vehicle, and refund Enterprise Rent-A-Car for any costs it incurs. Enterprise Rent-A-Car is entitled to charge a fee of CHF 50.00 to CHF 300.00 for expenses or fees in connection with i.e. fines, damage, etc..
You are liable for all fees, taxes, fines, and penalties incurred in connection with the use of the vehicle and for which Enterprise Rent-A-Car is charged, unless they have arisen through the fault of Enterprise Rent-A-Car. During the rental period you must carry out the usual inspections (engine oil level, tire pressure, etc.) as would any careful user, and respect the maintenance cycle of the vehicle as stated in the maintenance guide, if any.
When parking the vehicle, even for a short period, you undertake to lock it and make use of the vehicle’s alarm and/or immobilization equipment. You must never leave the vehicle unoccupied with the keys in the ignition. Non-return of the keys will lead to invalidation of any theft coverage.
You agree to use the vehicle in a responsible manner and only for the purposes for which it is intended. For a car, this primarily means carrying passengers other than for hire and reward.
In particular, you must not use the vehicle under any of the following conditions or for any of the following purposes:
- driving the vehicle under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or any other type of narcotic substances,
- transportation of inflammable or dangerous goods, as well as toxic, corrosive, radioactive or other harmful substances,
- carrying anything which, because of its smell or condition, harms the vehicle or causes Enterprise Rent-A-Car to lose time or money before it can rent the vehicle again,
- transportation of live animals (with the exception of domestic pets, subject to prior authorization),
- with a roof rack, luggage carrier, or similar, unless supplied by Enterprise Rent-A-Car,
- re-rental to or use by other people,
- carrying passengers for hire or reward,
- participating in rallies, competitions, or trials, wherever they may take place,
- giving driving lessons,
- pushing or towing another vehicle (except those vehicles equipped by Enterprise Rent-A-Car with a towing-hook; maximum load 1,000 kg), or exceeding the authorized load weight,
- travelling on non-paved roads or on roads where the surface or state of repair could put the vehicle’s wheels, tires, or its under body mechanics at risk,
- intentionally committing any offence i.e. failure to utilize seat belts or occupant restraint system,
- none of the goods and baggage carried in the vehicle, including their packing and stowage equipment, will be permitted to damage the vehicle, nor put the occupants abnormally at risk,
- in any way which breaks the Highway Code, road traffic laws or any other laws.
You will be liable for any offence committed during the rental period which relates in any way to your use of the vehicle, as if you were the owner of the vehicle. In some cases, Enterprise Rent-A-Car may have to transfer your personal data at the request of police officials or any authoritative body. Such transfer will be done in accordance with the data protection laws of the country of rental.
You hereby authorize Enterprise Rent-A-Car to charge you for any administrative efforts related to the processing of traffic fines imposed on you throughout your hire period. Enterprise Rent-A-Car also reserves the right to either provide your information to regional authorities to request the payment of fines from you directly, or, in some cases, to pay fines imposed on you on your behalf, and subsequently charge you for them.
The Enterprise Rent-A-Car rental fleet is 100% smoke free. In cases where the vehicle is smoked in or is returned smelling of smoke, an accessory cleaning fee of up to CHF 500 will be applied to the overall rental cost.
In some countries, winter tires may be mandatory in specified circumstances. We recommend that you check the requirements in your country of destination when either booking online, or via your local Enterprise Rent-A-Car Reservation Office, or at the time of rental.
3.3 Maintenance / Mechanical Problems
The vehicle has been provided to you with a full set of tires in good condition. In the event that a tire is damaged for any reason other than normal wear and tear, you undertake to replace it immediately at your own expense with a tire of the same dimensions, type, and wear characteristics.
You must stop the vehicle if any of the instrument panel warning lights, which are intended to indicate the existence of a mechanical problem, light up at any time, or if you become aware of anything else which may indicate the presence of a mechanical problem with the vehicle.
If the odometer has stopped functioning for any reason other than a technical failure, you will be required to pay a distance charge according to the rates in force in the country of rental.
The vehicle will be roadworthy and fit for normal use at the beginning of the rental. If it is not, or if it becomes unsuitable for normal use during the rental as a result of mechanical breakdown or accident, you must inform an Enterprise Rent-A-Car station and/or telephone the Breakdown and Assistance Service number provided to you at the beginning of hire period.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car will have the choice of either replacing the vehicle, or accepting repairs to be done to the vehicle. In the latter case, repairs can only be made following written or oral confirmation and instructions provided by Enterprise Rent-A-Car, as well as acceptance by Enterprise Rent-A-Car of the estimated costs. You must be able to provide the name and station name of the Enterprise Rent-A-Car accepting the repairs. Without prejudice to any question of liability, repair expenses may be charged directly to Enterprise Rent-A-Car. If not, Enterprise Rent-A-Car reserves the right to request remittance of the defective pieces and the paid invoice from you directly. Fees and expenses for any repair not issued exclusively by Enterprise Rent-A-Car will not be reimbursed to you.
You must inform Enterprise Rent a Car of all accidents, damages, or breakdowns of the car, including those which may have already been repaired, when you return the vehicle. You will remain liable for any damages to Enterprise Rent-A-Car. Neither Enterprise Rent-A-Car, nor its directors, officers, or employees will be liable to you for any loss or damage (including, but not limited to, loss of profit or earnings), nor to the extent permitted by law, for indirect consequential damages, based on either contract or tort, resulting from your actions.
3.4 Breakdown Assistance
As agreed with Enterprise Rent-A-Car, you have the option, at extra cost, of a Breakdown and Assistance Service for the duration of the rental period. This service can be contacted via the Breakdown and Assistance Service telephone number provided to you at the beginning of hire period.
In order to benefit from this service, you must contact the Breakdown and Assistance Service immediately after the occurrence of an incident. If you fail to contact the Breakdown and Assistance Service prior to initiating additional maintenance or assistance without the preceding consent of Enterprise Rent-A-Car, you will not be eligible to claim for reimbursement of any repair-related expenses. The rule of prior approval is solely non-applicable in the event of a breakdown on a motorway.
The Rental Period
4.1 Principle and Calculation
Your rental reservation is valid for a period of two hours. If you do not fulfill your rental reservation, you are no longer guaranteed to receive a vehicle, or to receive a vehicle in your hire class. In fulfilling your reservation, you undertake to return the vehicle to Enterprise Rent-A-Car at the agreed place, on the date and at the time indicated on the Booking.
The maximum duration of a Booking may vary from one country to another. The rental duration is calculated on the basis of indivisible periods of 24 hours, starting from the time that the vehicle is made available. However, a 30-minute grace period is applied at the end of the rental before the start of a new 24-hour period.
If you return the vehicle to any Enterprise Rent-A-Car rental station other than the agreed location, repatriation costs will be charged to you.
4.2 Extension of the Original Duration of the Rental
Should you wish to keep the vehicle for a period longer than originally set out in the Booking, you must first contact Enterprise Rent-A-Car in order to extend the duration of the Booking. Depending upon the country of rental, you may be required to extend the rental in person at an Enterprise Rent-A-Car location.
The vehicle is insured for the period mentioned on the Booking. Unless otherwise agreed in writing by Enterprise Rent-A-Car, the contracting party remains liable for any damages to Enterprise Rent-A-Car once this period has passed.
4.3 Delivery and Collection Terms
Whereby you ask Enterprise Rent-A-Car, and Enterprise Rent-A-Car agrees, in writing, to deliver or collect the vehicle, you may be required to pay additional charges and follow additional instructions. We strongly recommend that you confirm this information at the time of reservation.
When you return the vehicle, or leave the vehicle for collection by Enterprise Rent-A-Car if Enterprise Rent-A-Car has agreed to do so, you must complete the details of the date and time of return, mileage and fuel gauge reading, and other relevant information on the rental document wallet, as well as fulfilling any additional procedures which Enterprise Rent-A-Car has deemed conditional to agreeing to collect the vehicle.
You must return the vehicle immediately if you are asked by Enterprise Rent-A-Car to do so. In the event that the vehicle is not delivered to Enterprise Rent-A-Car upon request, you hereby authorize Enterprise Rent-A-Car to enter your premises and/or any necessary measures for repossession. You will be liable for any costs associated with such repossession.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car may repossess any vehicle without notice or liability where Enterprise Rent-A-Car deems that such repossession is necessary for its own protection.
4.4 End of Rental
The end of the rental is defined by the return of the vehicle and its keys to the rental counter at the agreed Enterprise Rent-A-Car location. This must be done solely with a uniformed Enterprise Rent-A-Car employee. Under no circumstances should you give the keys to any person present at the Enterprise Rent-A-Car location who is not a registered Enterprise Rent-A-Car employee or who poses as an Enterprise Rent-A-Car employee.
If explicitly mentioned in writing on the Booking, the keys may be returned to the reception desk of a hotel.
If the vehicle is returned without its keys, you will be invoiced for the cost of the replacement keys. Under no circumstances will Enterprise Rent-A-Car accept any liability for articles that may have been left in the vehicle at the end of the rental.
Important note: Outside the operating hours, depositing the keys and documents in a letter box does not constitute the end of the rental. You remain liable for any damages until an Enterprise Rent-A-Car employee takes possession of the vehicle, documents, and keys when the Enterprise Rent-A-Car location reopens for business.
4.4.1 In the event of confiscation, theft, or heavy accident
In the event of any action initiated by a third party, including confiscation or impounding of the vehicle, you must immediately inform Enterprise Rent-A-Car in writing. Enterprise Rent-A-Car will therein be entitled to take all measures which it deems necessary to protect its rights. You will be liable for all damage, costs, or expenses associated with the above measures and for any direct, indirect, or consequential damages (such as loss) to the vehicle, unless it is demonstrated that Enterprise Rent-A-Car is directly responsible for such confiscation or impounding of the vehicle.
Any use of the vehicle which may be detrimental to Enterprise Rent-A-Car will entitle Enterprise Rent-A-Car to automatically terminate the Booking with immediate effect. You are therein obligated to return the vehicle at the immediate request of Enterprise Rent-A-Car. In the event of theft of the vehicle, the Booking will be terminated as soon as Enterprise Rent-A-Car has received a copy of the theft declaration made by you to the police authorities.
You are required to immediately report any accidents to the appropriate police department and to Enterprise Rent-A-Car. A copy of the police report and fully completed Enterprise Rent-A-Car incident report must be turned in to the rental location. The accident/incident report form is located in the glove box of the vehicle. The Booking will be terminated as soon as Enterprise Rent-A-Car has received a copy of the accident/incident report completed by you and, where applicable, the third party. If Enterprise Rent-A-Car provides a new vehicle, the Booking will be amended accordingly.
Furthermore, Enterprise Rent-A-Car will not assume responsibility for loss, theft, robbery, or damage of any nature relating to objects and/or utensils transported or which are found in the vehicle, including, in particular, baggage and/or goods.
The total rental charges will be determined according to the price applicable at the time of rental.
Terms of Payment
When payment is made by means of a credit card, an authorization will be requested prior to the start of the rental. The minimum amount of the authorization will be determined by multiplying the rate by the reserved rental period and other relevant charges. This amount is not debited. It is held on the card holder’s bank account until the final rental charge amount is debited. When the vehicle is returned, the invoiced amount will be charged to the credit card provided, unless you present another means of payment.
The “Addendum to Booking for US Resident” is an integral part of the General Rental Terms between you and Enterprise Rent-A-Car.
In the event of non-payment by the due date shown on the invoice, you will be liable for payment of interest on the total amount due, in accordance with the details on the invoice, if any. Non-payment by due date of any invoice or any other non-payment will render all outstanding invoices due immediately and will authorize Enterprise Rent-A-Car to require immediate return of any vehicles still on rent and to terminate the agreements relating to these rentals.
The rates applicable to the rental, additional services, and optional covers or insurances are those which are in force on the date of issue of the Booking, and correspond to the characteristics you originally indicated at the time of reservation (such as vehicle type rental, duration, return station). Any modification to these characteristics will result in the use of an appropriate alternative rate.
Should the vehicle not be returned with a full fuel tank, you will be charged for the missing quantity of fuel and for the refueling service according to the rates in force in the country of rental, unless you have subscribed to the full tank option.
All the vehicles in the Enterprise Rent-A-Car fleet are insured against Bodily Injury and/or Property Damage that you might inflict on a third party as a result of an accident involving the rental vehicle. The amounts for such liability cover are available on request in the country of rental. In particular, you must comply with the rule concerning permitted destinations, as set out in the article “use of the vehicle” above, in order to have the full benefit of the insurance provisions.
Important note: Damage to the under body-work and/or roof due to collision with bridges, tunnels, overhanging structures etc., is excluded from the damage cover, unless force majeure can be proved. Exceptions to this regulation may apply in some countries.
7.1 Liability in the Event of Damage to the Rental Vehicle or Theft or Conversion Thereof
7.1.1 You will be liable for any damages to Enterprise Rent-A-Car when renting a vehicle that has been entrusted to you. Therefore, in the event of theft of the vehicle or damages caused to it, you must fully indemnify Enterprise Rent-A-Car (the indemnification will include the amounts corresponding to the repair costs, resale value of the vehicle, loss of use, administration charges, etc.).
Therefore, in the event of damage or theft, you will be debited with an amount equal to the non-waivable excess charge according to the rates in force in the rental country. In the event of light damage, you will be debited according to the provisions of section 7.1.2. You are advised that any waivers you may have chosen will be invalidated if you fail to take reasonable measures for the safety of the vehicle, its parts or accessories, or fail to comply with all restrictions on the use of the vehicle or otherwise abuse or misuse it.
You will not be exempt from liability towards Enterprise Rent-A-Car in the case of breach of contract. Therefore, you will be responsible for any financial loss Enterprise Rent-A-Car suffers as a result of such breach and for any relevant claims made by other people. You agree to pay any amounts Enterprise Rent-A-Car spends in enforcing these terms.
Therefore, in any case, neither Enterprise Rent-A-Car nor its officers, directors, or employees will be liable to the contracting party for any amounts, actions, law suits, or claims related to any direct, indirect, or consequential damages (such as loss of business, loss of profit) arising out of or in connection with the rental or the use of any vehicle whether the action is based on contract or in tort. You will not hold Enterprise Rent-A-Car responsible and will indemnify all claims, liabilities, damages, losses or expenses arising from the rental and/or use of the vehicle.
In the event of damage or loss, Enterprise Rent-A-Car is entitled to charge the full, agreed excess in accordance with the rental contract, in addition to the final rental fee, to the credit card provided before the final claim settlement. If the loss suffered by Enterprise Rent-A-Car is subsequently reduced (recovery of the vehicle within 60 days), you will receive the corresponding reimbursement.
7.1.2 Light damage
Both at check-out and check-in, Enterprise Rent-A-Car will, together with you, register all visible light damage to a vehicle which you hereby acknowledge.
At check-out, non-repaired damage is registered with the appropriate signatures by you and the Enterprise Rent-A-Car representative. At the end of the rental i.e., at check-in, the identification of any new light damage must be registered. Any new light damage will be immediately pointed out to Enterprise Rent-A-Car and signed by you and the Enterprise Rent-A-Car representative. This damage will be charged to you.
These costs will be directly billed to you by Enterprise Rent-A-Car and will include the estimated cost of the damage repair as well as administration charges, immobilization costs, spare parts, and labor costs. The above-mentioned invoiced costs and payment of the Booking are payable under the same conditions.
8.1 Owner, acting as an independent data controller, may use Customer’s personal data (and the personal data of any additional driver) collected in connection with the Booking or any related agreement or service (“Customer Personal Data”), and disclose it, for the following purposes:
- process Customer Personal Data to manage the rental and the commercial relationship, communicate with the Customer about or assist with the rental. Owner processes Customer Personal Data for this purpose on the basis of (i) contractual necessity (e.g. billing) or (ii) its legitimate interests in ensuring the effective delivery of the requested services, when these interests are not overridden by the Customer’s – and any additional drivers’ – data protection rights;
- store Customer Personal Data that relates to any incident arising from the Customer’s dealings or an additional driver’s dealings with Owner if it thinks that, as a result of such incident, the Customer or an additional driver could be a risk for future rentals. Owner processes Customer Personal Data for this purpose on the basis of its legitimate interests in protecting its employees, other customers, the public and its property from safety or financial risks based on past customer conduct, when these interests are not overridden by the Customer’s – and any additional driver’s – data protection rights;
- verify personal, driving and credit information (including Customer Personal Data) provided by the Customer and any additional driver through credit agencies, relevant driver and vehicle licensing agencies, fraud prevention agencies/databases or other sources. Owner processes Customer Personal Data for this purpose on the basis of its legitimate interests in preventing fraud, when these interests are not overridden by the Customer’s – and any additional drivers’ – data protection rights;
- provide details of any accidents in which the Customer or any additional driver of the vehicle are involved (including Customer Personal Data) to relevant insurance databases. Owner process Customer Personal Data for this purpose where necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims;
- provide Customer Personal Data to government agencies who oversee road scheme programmes for the purpose of assisting in the enforcement of any traffic regulation during the rental period. Owner processes Customer Personal Data for this purpose where necessary to ensure its compliance with applicable legal obligations; and
- provide Customer Personal Data to the relevant motor tax office or authority, debt collectors, credit agencies and any other relevant organization or authority on the basis of (i) contractual necessity, (ii) compliance with a legal obligation and/or (ii) Owner’s legitimate interests to recover any pending debt.
- process Customer Personal Data to manage the rental and the commercial relationship, communicate with the Customer about or assist with his rental. EHI processes Customer Personal Data for this purpose on the basis of (i) contractual necessity (e.g. billing) or (ii) its legitimate interests in ensuring the effective delivery of the requested services, when these interests are not overridden by the Customer’s – and any additional drivers’ –data protection rights;
- store Customer Personal Data that relates to any incident arising from the Customer’s dealings or an additional driver’s dealings with EHI if it thinks that, as a result of such incident, the Customer or an additional driver could be a risk for future rentals. EHI processes Customer Personal Data for this purpose on the basis of its legitimate interests in protecting its employees, other customers, the public and its property from safety or financial risks based on past customer conduct, when these interests are not overridden by the Customer’s – and any additional drivers’ – data protection rights;
- process Customer Personal Data in order to carry out phone customer satisfaction surveys. EHI processes Customer Personal Data for this purpose on the basis of its legitimate interests in ensuring customer satisfaction of the services which it provides, when these interests are not overridden by the Customer’s – and any additional drivers’ – data protection rights;
- send the Customer marketing communications (for instance by post or electronic communications) about similar products or services which EHI thinks may be of interest to the Customer. This can include the provision of targeted advertising on EHI sites, selected partner sites and social networks. EHI processes Customer Personal Data for this purpose on the basis of its legitimate interests in conducting such marketing, when these interests are not overridden by the Customer’s – and any additional drivers’ – data protection rights but, where required, will seek the Customer consent to do so at the time of data collection; and
- compile statistics and analysis about the Customer – and any applicable additional drivers’ – use of EHI products and services, including statistics based on anonymized data, which enable EHI to provide the Customer and other customers in the future with better customer service, products, features and functionalities.
8.3 Both Owner and EHI retain Customer Personal Data for commercially reasonable periods of time or in accordance with specific laws or policies. Information collected for a specified purpose will only be used for that purpose and, after a reasonable period of time, will no longer be actively stored when that purpose has been fulfilled. Inactive data may, however, continue to be used for statistical, marketing, archiving, and other analytical purposes.
8.4 The Customer has the right to: (i) access and port his personal data (including in certain cases in a commonly used, machine readable format); (ii) have his personal data rectified (where it is inaccurate or incomplete), (iii) have his personal data erased where Owner or EHI no longer has any legitimate reasons to process it; (iv) have his personal data restricted; (v) object to Owner or EHI’s processing of his personal data in certain circumstances; and (vi) lodge a complaint with the applicable supervisory authority.
8.5 If the Customer has any queries in relation to the above use of his Customer Personal Data, he should contact Owner in the first instance.